This article helps you to get an overview of processes or workflow tasks
Now that you are aware of how to create different forms, there is another activity that is extremely important to achieve the desired business outcome. When building your Studio apps, you would come across various automated tasks like updating sheets, sending a notification on completion of an action, and so on. Similarly, where human interaction is required like Input from user or Approval from a manager, you can define tasks accordingly.
You would first create a workflow and then need it to be triggered on a particular action like Submitting the form or trigger a workflow with an Action button using CALLWORKFLOW function, triggering actions like email, phone call and so on. The different tasks would have to be completed in a certain sequence to achieve the desired outcome. These tasks can be automated, or awaiting intervention from another system, or awaiting human-based interaction. Most workflows that you create for your forms would be triggered on click of the Action button or Submit button. Another scenario that can exist is when using Workflow APIs and Automation.
Let us now have a look at the different Workflow tasks that you can create in the Studio.
Types of tasks
- Input task : The input task is typically used to assign a form or screen to a specific user for certain input on some action. The user would be notified through a notification or an email when the task is triggered or directed to that user.
- Approval task: An Approval Task is a request/action that an approver reviews and responds to, either by approving or denying it. The approval task can also be a part of another workflow or process and gets assigned to a certain user for the concerned person’s approval. For example if the Finance team member updates a record and needs approval from the manager such a task would be added.
- Update sheet task: The Update sheet task is used for insert, update and delete actions on the sheets. It is usually triggered on the submission of a form using the submit button.
- Notification: The Notification task is used to receive/ push Android and mobile notifications from your apps. Additionally, an email can also be marked with the custom message.
- Branch: The Branch task includes multiple conditions that need to be completed before moving to the next task or next section
- Use API: There are times when you need to use the services like Trello, Zapier, Twillio and so on within your app. There are API available for these services which can be used in different scenarios using the Use API task.
- Email: The Email task triggers an email notification to the specific user or group of user as a result of some action. It might be combined with update task, approval tasks wherein the email task is triggered after submission or approval is received.
- Variable Block: The Variable Block task enables you to create and reuse variables in multiple tasks. You can also create formulas and use the variable block as required in any other form or workflow also.
- Generate PDF: This a task that can be used to initiate creation of a pdf file with the data and inputs added from the form or any other location to a selected template.
- Personal services: You can create tasks for the Personal services like FreshDesk,Geolocation, Sendgrid and so on.
- Third-party services: You can use workflow tasks to add third party services like Trello, Slack, Twillio, and so on using the APIs available for each of these available Third-party services.
- Personal DB services: There are workflow tasks for personal database services like DB Connector which can used to quickly build database capabilities for different applications.